Friday, July 07, 2006

Puppy Update...

Abigail and Chelsea are 7 weeks old today. Talked with the breeder last night. According to him, Chelsea is a little bully and a barker, but also protective of Abigail. Abigail is the mellow, laid back pup. Both dogs seem to know they are going to the same place and have become inseparable. We are picking them up at the vets next Friday, 11 am. The breeder is taking care of this round of shots and I am taking care of starting them on heartworm preventative. My children have not meet the pups, yet. My oldest child is going to be away at camp when we pick them up from the vet. My youngest child attends school during the summer as she has Autism. So, I get to bring home the pups and get them used to their home without two very excited kids around.

This morning as I was sitting on the porch, brushing out one of the cats, I realized that my cats are going to be very upset with me. It shouldn't be too bad as all of them were familiar with dogs. They may hide for a couple days but they will get over it. I will just have to feed the cats in the bedroom for a couple days.

We are almost prepared. We have their puppy food, Purina Beneful Puppy. We have their leashes and their collars are on them. I have purchased a new brush. I have to buy their treats and bed. We are buying one big bed for now. If we need to go to two beds we will. We are keeping the same vet. I have their food and water dishes.

I have begun puppy proofing the house. I have organized the kids rooms, so all the toys are protected. I usually go through the kids room 4 times a year; Late Spring, before back to school, before Christmas and about February. To organize, throw out or donate to the local clinic that helps out children, who have nothing. The girls try but don't succeed in keeping their rooms clean. I pick my battles and cleaning their rooms is not a battle I like to fight all the time. As long as the garbage is thrown away and the dirty laundry is picked up, they have to live in it. I can shut the door. Anyway, We have a new rule especially in the living room, "if its on the floor it is mine for a week". Yeah, a complete 180. I surprised myself. But with the pups on their way; I know they will be little terrors in a couple weeks; I don't want chewed up toys. I am certain I have paid Rubbermaid a small fortune for storage containers.

Well, that is all for now. The wait is almost over.

3 comments:

Christina said...

How exciting! It's like a new baby coming!

Christina said...

How exciting!

Anonymous said...

I have found with our pup, crate training especially for at night is a really good thing. It's the one time a day, you won't have to worry abou them and you can get some sleep (after the first week or so lol). Also, works great for when you leave the house.